Tuesday 23 August 2016

Trashy Entry #5: CONFESSIONS OF A HOUSEWIFE


(IVANA KHATRI, a freelance writer/ blogger)

Dear Husband,

Last night you yelled at me for no reason. I understand that you’re totally stressed out from your work and appreciate you for working so hard for us. What I really don’t understand is… why me? Why do I have to bear all your mood swings and tantrums? Let me remind you that I’m not your mother. I’m the woman who shares your life with you along with all your lows and highs. I walk along with you in smooth and rough. Still I fail to occupy any place of respect or equality whatsoever.
You accused me yesterday for a lot of things that you’ve suffered because of me. Allow me the liberty to answer all your points one by one:

1.You blamed me for doing nothing at home and enjoying my life, while you suffer working so hard. Let me first be grateful to you for being the bread earner. But, my dear, you conveniently forgot who cooks that bread for you and take care of your kids along with all the other culinary items you all wish me to expertise in as it's too expensive to eat out every weekend. Who makes sure your house, your clothes and other stuff are all clean and neatly stacked in their places, ready to use? Let’s not even bring the kids stuff in this list. I know now that the ‘job’ that I do is certainly steep low and thankless.
Kindly find a good nanny, a housekeeper, a cook and a driver for yourself and your kids. Because I SO QUIT!!

2. You held me accountable for ruining your social life… that I refuse to invite your friends and family members to entertain you out of laziness. (Lazy eh? I won’t be whining again about my lack of energy after the hectic routine).  
So dear hubby, you again missed the fact that I’d too sacrificed my family, friends, my home and even my town for marrying you. I again understand that you’re not designed to appreciate my sacrifice.

3.  I recall you have some issues with me going out for lunch or coffee get togethers. Well, I assume that I can too, raise some similar issues with you and your beer outings, game screening, weekend getaway from wife and kids… the list still goes on. What confuses me is that the stress that you claim so desperately want to flee from is... work or your wife and kids?

4. You said that I’m not a good housewife or a mother. You blamed me for all the shortcomings that our children have. Our kids are not smart and perfect enough to be showed off to make neighbors jealous. (I feel the genes could take a little bit burden of the long list of credits). And I don’t encourage loads of guests to stay at our house. Well, you took the liberty of placing such allegations on me because you think you have the upper hand of being the one who brings money at home.
Let me also take the liberty and remind you that this was the deal that we made when we tied the knot- you earn and I take care of the house. You have found loads of limitations in my work but gave me no authority to do the same. Have I ever nagged you for not getting promoted? Did I ever step into your office and meddle in your decisions regarding your work? You’ve conveniently taken my silence to be lack of education. If you want, I can show you my graduation degree. But that’s no point to discuss. I forgive you for that anyway.
But what I can’t forgive you about is that you interfere a lot at ‘my workplace’. If you don’t like my work, then hire someone else to do it. Taken if that person is willing to do it in the same amount of money that you spend on me (that, by the way is too limited) and have the patience to listen to all your nagging. Meanwhile in the free time that I’ll get, I would love to earn something for myself and fulfill my wishes which I surely could not with what I have in my pocket. 

So, as most of the hurting points are now two-way discussed, I would like to omit the petty issues. This blame game is completely exhausting and would go on forever if we continue pointing out at each other. Please remember that we are a team and not opposition parties in parliament. Nobody is perfect and we are no Gods to deserve an epitome of perfection either. Thus, we need to stick together like partners and try to ignore each other’s flaws. Keep one thing in mind that no other relation would be found beside you in tough time, except me.

P.S. Kindly keep this letter handy whenever you feel the urge to use me to drain out your stress.

Your Loving Wife.
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

SEEKING CONDOLENCE: Quest to find Happiness

I gathered my hair into a tight knot, ignoring the bold grey ones who mocked at me through the looking mirror. But as I wiped my face with...